Charles Perry is the co-host of the Release Notes podcast. He is a software service developer who discusses the web development world with his co-host Joe. Release Notes originally focused on IOS topics but the show has evolved with Charles and Joe’s career growth. Charles tells me about how his audience responded to the gradual shift in content and why he’s glad the audience has been along for the ride.
Charles and Joe have also reached a milestone many podcasters hope to achieve. They host their own convention and promote it with the podcast. Release Notes 2019 will be in Playa Mujeres, Quintana Roo, Mexico during October 3rd-5th. The event is in its fourth year and is growing every year. I am very curious about planning such a large event and Charles is very open about his experience with organizing the event. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Welcome, Charles Perry!
- Release Notes original “everything but the code” content.
- The change in content and how Charles and Joe are reflected in it.
- How the Release Notes audience responded to the content shift.
- Why Charles and Joe planned a conference.
- The struggles and lessons from the first conference.
- Setting a budget while you plan your event.
- Are the podcast and convention connected?
- The mistakes that were made during the first conference.
- The pros and cons of online social media groups versus a conference atmosphere.
- Charles’s advice to event organizers.
Thank you for joining me for today’s Podcast Hackers episode! Tune in next time as we continue to have in-depth conversations with experts who can help make your podcast the best it can be!